Sunday, October 16, 2011

A visit to an apple orchard

After reading Not Far From the Tree: A Brief History of the Apples and the Orchards of Palermo, Maine, 1804-2004 by John P. Bunker Jr., I wanted to visit an apple orchard.  Yesterday, I visited Riverview Orchards.  One of the things I noticed was how the apple tree I planted in Connecticut resembled these trees (except it is a lot smaller, because it was just planted this year).  It was comforting to see that my apple tree looked like a proper apple tree.

Here is a photo taken October 13 of the tree I planted:
And here is an apple tree from the orchard:
One thing that I noticed was how the small branches looked:
In contrast, here is the trunk of the same tree:
I noticed that the ground below some of the trees was covered with moss.
In other places, there was some bare ground below the trees.
Sometimes there was some moss and some bare ground.
And I saw one tree with burdock below it.
Some trees had only a few apples left. Perhaps many had already been picked.
Others had an abundance of fruit.

On the apple trees, most of the leaves were still green.


I did see one leaf with a little fall color.



It was wonderful to see all the beautiful apples and apple trees.