Monday, March 19, 2012

Flowering ash

Today I finally photographed what I've been wondering about since at least March 7. In fall 2010, I took notes on the trees between home and work, recording what I thought they were while they had leaves so that I would know after the leaves dropped. According to my notes, I concluded that the trees on the west side of 15th Street from Hutton Street to Jacob Street were green ash. But if they are all the same, why is one flowering but the others not? Are they really all the same kind of tree? But the trunks do look the same. And the flowers that came out do look like the picture of green ash flowers in The Sibley Guide to Trees. I guess that does happen sometimes. In the past few days as the red maples have come out, not all flowered at the same time.  Is the one that is flowering in a location that is warmer or gets more sun?

Here's the one that is has been flowering for two weeks:


And here are two photos of the next tree down the street:



This one, a little farther down the street, is flowering a little, but not as much as the first, and it just started, while the first one has been at it for a fortnight.