Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lunch hour wonder

Today on lunch hour, I wandered about in wonder from tree to tree, taking photos like crazy.  I took 45 photos today, of which 43 were taken on lunch hour.

I started off by the VCC.  There's an oak there, and I love the color of oak this time of year.




There's also a Japanese maple, which is one of the few other type of tree which remains colorful this time of year.


Near the Japanese maple is what I seem to think is a weeping cherry.  I don't know how I got that idea.  I've noticed that that happens sometimes.  That is, there are some trees that I explicitly learn by finding them in a book, or by someone telling me what they are.  There are others for which a name just pops into my head.  I think that I read about trees that have certain names, and I look at trees whose names I don't know, and then somehow these two things come together in my brain without my noticing it.




Experimenting with photography, I found that I liked the look I got looking from under the oak leaves out to the buildings.



Next I headed for the hawthorns.  I wanted to document how they look at this time of year.  I think I will make a separate post showing several of those photos, but here is one sample for now.  I think I learned hawthorn in the same way I wrote above regarding weeping cherry.  I read in books, and look around the world, and then somehow they came together in my brain.  I think it was just over a year ago, because I remember telling Bob about it.  Three days from now will be the one year anniversary of his death.

Much of the autumn color is gone this year, so I was fascinated to see some color near the entrance to the parking garage.

Entranced, I was drawn forward and found a row of these trees.


As with the hawthorn, I just include one photo for now, and will write a separate post later.

Next I headed over to see my beloved red maples. On my way, I took this photo, showing the state of the trees in front of the Troy Building.

Here is one of the six photos I took of the red maples.


Next, I looked at the view between Walker and Amos Eaton.

Finishing my tour, I headed back to my office in the Lally Building.  Beside Lally were the locust trees.